Location: The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH, USA
Dates: Monday June 12, 2006 -- Wednesday June 14, 2006
Organizer: Ron Solomon (email@example.com)
Schedule, Location, and Titles of Lectures
- All lectures will be held in the MBI Lecture Hall: MA 240.
- MA = The (OLD) Math Building (not the Math Tower) on the southeast
corner of Neil Avenue and 18th Avenue. The hall is in the northwest corner
of the second floor.
MONDAY JUNE 12th
- 9:30 Michael Aschbacher (Cal Tech)
- Intervals in the subgroup lattice of finite groups
- 10:30 Coffee Break
- 11:00 Eiichi Bannai (Kyushu)
- On the zeroes of Hecke polynomials
- 12:00 Lunch break
- 2:00 Simon Norton (Cambridge)
- The construction of the Harada-Norton group
- 3:15 Inna Korchagina (Birmingham)
- HN as a group of bicharacteristic 2,3
- 4:30 Mario Mainardis (Udine)
- HN as a group of bicharacteristic 2,5
TUESDAY JUNE 13th
- 9:00 Masahiko Miyamoto (Tsukuba)
- Flatness and cohomology rings of VOAs
- 10:15 Hiromichi Yamada (Hitotsubashi)
- Z_3-orbifold of lattice VOAs
- 11:30 C. H. Lam (Nat'l. Cheng Kung U.)
- Structure codes and pointwise frame stabilizers of framed VOAs
- 12:30 Lunch Break
- 2:30 Silvia Onofrei (U.C. Riverside)
- Distinguished p-subgroups and homology decompositions of classifying
- 3:40 Stephen D. Smith (UIC)
- 1. Cohomology of sporadic groups
- 2. Koichiro Harada and the Classification
- 4:50 Richard Lyons (Rutgers)
- Harada, Fitting and Bender
- Birthday Banquet Dinner
WEDNESDAY JUNE 14th
- 9:00 George Glauberman (U. Chicago)
- A characteristic subgroup for pushing-up
- 10:10 Andrew Woldar (Villanova)
- Generalized generalized polygons
- 11:20 Michael Collins (Oxford)
- Primitive complex groups, the Leech lattice, and an interesting amalgam
Port Columbus International Airport (CMH) is conveniently situated within
15 - 20 minutes drive from OSU. Taxi fare to the campus area is about $25.
The Holiday Inn on the Lane (see below) provides airport shuttle service
for guests. If you are travelling from Asia, please advise me of your
scheduled arrival and I will try to assure that someone meets you at the
If you are driving to Columbus and need assistance with directions, or if you
need any other travel information or assistance, please let me know.
There will be a birthday banquet dinner on Tuesday evening, June 13th, at
the China Dynasty Restaurant, 1930 E. Dublin-Granville Road. The cost will be
$35 per person. This covers food, tax and gratuity. Drinks may be purchased
separately. Cash or check payable to Ronald Solomon will be collected in
advance. We will arrange car pooling to get participants to the restaurant.
Most participants will stay at:
- The Holiday Inn on the Lane (1-614-294-4848).
This is adjacent to campus.
If you wish to stay there, let me know and I can secure for you the OSU
room rate of $89/night.
A second option, on campus, is The Blackwell (1-614-247-4000). I believe
the rate is $134. Less convenient, but offering shuttle service to campus
is the University Plaza Hotel (1-614-267-7461). If you wish to stay there,
let me know and I can secure for you the Math Department rate of $79/night.
Finally, about 1 mile from campus, is a Red Roof Inn (1-614-267-9941),
offering an OSU rate of $59/night (except $89 for Sunday night). Other
information is available on the
OSU Website: www.osu.edu/visitors/accommodations.php .
Registration Form and Financial Assistance
The conference has very limited financial support from the Mathematical
Research Institute of the Ohio State University. In addition to some
support for speakers, we may have some funds to assist graduate students
If you plan to participate in the conference, please send your responses to the
questions below to Ron Solomon at
This is particularly important as regards accommodations and possible
Anticipated Arrival Date:
Anticipated Departure Date:
Would you like us to reserve a room for you at the Holiday Inn? Would
you be interested in sharing a room? If so, do you have someone in particular
Do you plan to attend the conference dinner? How many of you?
(For speakers, graduate students and postdocs only) Do you request
financial support for transportation and/or accommodations? If so, how much?